Improving your Blog or WordPress Site Personal Experience

Totalreach has turned 11 this month and it has gone through some serious changes over the 11 years I have had the domain and here is how the site has evolved and how I’ve changed things to try and improve the site and its content.

Totalreach started out as a bog standard HTML site that gave people links to useful free software to try and help people while I was at University with simple things like their security and other little tasks for PC maintenance. I then decided that I wanted to the site to be more dynamic and didn’t want to have to code every page and looked into CMS’s where I chose Joomla.

Joomla was the right choice at the time because Totalreach plans at that point was to build a community and integrate a forum into a fully fledged website, but as things changed I started to only use it as a blog. When some plugins went wrong I decided to scrap the Joomla site after about a year and went with WordPress.

WordPress has been the staple now of Totalreach since 2011 and I don’t see that changing as WordPress continues to evolve into more of CMS than just a blogging platform. The wealth of plugins is huge and while Totalreach has gone through some serious changes over the time that WordPress has been the platform of choice how stable and secure the content of the site seems to be over previous experiences I don’t see that changing but never say never right.

For me what amazes me though on the negative side of WordPress is the way that it continues to evolve to give you more features as standard, like the ability to just copy a YouTube link into your text to embed it in your post. It seems to miss quite a few other features that you need to use plugins for that you would have thought a platform committed to blogging would have as standard. Like the ability to use meta descriptions and other features like that.

Recently I’ve been removing plugins however in order to streamline Totalreach and mainly for science more than anything. So my SEO plugins have been removed and other smaller features I had along with changing to the default theme just to see how well the default installation works. The plugin’s I have kept it Cloudflare, Akismet Anti-Spam and Jetpack by mostly for security reasons and the need for some sort of sitemap just to give the site a fighting chance.

The reason I’ve done this change isn’t that I don’t want to use all the amazing plugins out there or that I don’t want to utilize the advantages they give is because I want to use this blog, just to try and improve my writing and concentrate on the content and not worry about SEO or other things like that and see whether it is possible to organically grow on good content.

Leave a Reply